Saturday, April 2, 2011

Today is World Autism Awareness Day!

                                        

Today is World Autism Awareness Day!  For a mother of a child affected this day brings many emotions.  I would be lying if I said I am glad this day is here, because the truth is I wish that this day didn't exist, because I wish this disorder didn't exist!  That being said, it's here and it does exist, so I choose to use it as a day to spread awareness and show support and honor my son for his strength in this fight.

What saddens me this year, is that as I read different peoples blog posts, facebook status's and tweets, amongst the Autism community, it becomes apparent that even on a day like today, there is a divide amongst us.  There are those who do not think this is a day to be celebrated, those who refuse to wear blue because they may not support the organization that started the "blue," and those who are wearing their blue and trying to make the best of this day.  There are even people who are trying to re name the day or change the color.

To me, this is not a day to judge each other, as we are all in this battle and struggle together, and everyone deals and copes with things in different ways.  You may not agree with how people show their support, or may view it as celebrating a terrible disorder, but if that is how they choose to get through this day, which I am sure no one wishes existed, than why can't we just support each other and help each other through.  This is day should not be about the "politics," of Autism.  It should be about being unitied together, standing strong in the battle, supporting our families and showing there is strength in numbers.

As I was writing this blog this morning, I was overcome with emotion, by the kindness of a mother fighting a battle of her own for her child, against Spinal Muscular Atrophy.  She is a fan of The Butterfly Mission facebook page, and learned about us through a mutual friend.  Today, she, "friended," me on facebook, and when I accepted, the first thing I saw on her page, was her reposting our Butterfly Mission post and asking people to visit the sight.  This simple gesture brought me to tears.  This mother, who has her own battle to fight, took the time today to support Autism.  Although our paths our different, our love and support, and determination for our children our the same.  This is what today should be about. 

Today I will cry, I will laugh, and I will be proud.  Proud of all the accomplishments my son made this year, proud of my family and my husband.  I will wear my blue (although I would love if the color would have been purple lol), and I will show my support.  I will pray for all the children and families affected, I will pray that by this time next year we will have more answers, and even more a cure.  And I will be keeping my eye out for anyone else who might be wearing blue today, and I will know they are standing by our side.


1 comment:

  1. You never cease to amaze me. You are an inspiration. You and Mikey are so lucky to have eachother.God Bless you Chrissy...the world is so lucky to have a person like you in it. I am even luckier to be able to call an amazing person like you my best friend. I am so very proud of you.You consistently give me the chills with every post...xoxo
    Jen
    Jen

    ReplyDelete