Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hope and Excitement in the "New"

Being the parent of a child with Autism means you have to do whatever you can to try to solve your child’s “puzzle.”  Each child is so different and there is no one identical treatment for all, so you have to be willing to try new therapies, new treatments, and unfortunately go through some disappointments, until you find the formula that works for your child.  The one that will make your child be the best they can be, and meet their fullest potential. 
Since our family is only 2 years into our journey with Autism, although we have tried quite a few treatments and therapies, we still have much to try and learn.  I know there is still a lot more in my little man that he is not showing us! 
I have read lots of stories about children with ASDs whose parents have tried a new treatment that helped them turn a corner and had a dramatic affect on them.  I recently spoke to a mother at my son’s school who stopped giving her child casein and immediately was amazed to hear him speaking more. I’ve read of diets and supplements that have helped children focus, and not stim as much.  Some parents have been blown away by how well their child has responded to Applied Behavioral Analysis Therapy and how quickly they have gained skills and make improvements.  I’ve read countless stories of parents amazed by the dramatic affect a diet or supplement or treatment has had on their child.   I still wait eagerly for this jaw dropping experience that something new will make a dramatic change for my son. 
I remember when Mikey was first diagnosed with Autism, and being told about ABA and how much this therapy will help my son, that in a year I was going to see such a dramatic change in him.  I was so hopeful and excited for that year to pass, so I can see all the progress Mikey would make. Unfortunately, the year passed all too quickly and I was left heartbroken and disappointed that Mikey’s’ progress was not as dramatic as I thought it would be.   When we started the gluten free casein free diet 2 weeks after Mikey was diagnosed, I watched every move he made carefully, and listened to ever sound, hoping for some words, hoping for a difference, but again was left disappointed.  I can go through the list of things from a new dog, to NAET, to the hopes of what school would do for him, but in the end they all left me with the same feeling, the disappointment and knot in my stomach, that, “ok, this didn’t work like I hoped, now what?”
Mikey has made slow and steady progress along the last two years, although I am happy he is moving forward I yearn so desperately for a burst of progress, something dramatic, something that will make me cry and shake with joy.  So we move on with hope to the next thing on our list to try, the “new.”
We are currently experiencing hope in the new as Mikey has some changes going on right now.  Last week we started giving Mikey Methyl B12 shots.  Methyl B12 is a supplement that has had a dramatic affect on some children with ASDs and has been known to increase language and focus during learning times.   I am keeping my fingers crossed and heart open, and praying for some big results.  Although, I probably tread a little more cautiously these days.
Another very big change that will happen after spring break, Mikey will be starting in a new classroom with a new teacher, one that is a better match for his needs.   Although I am nervous about how Mikey will react to his new surroundings, I am so excited for this change.  It is so very important that children like Mikey have a teacher that knows how to teach them, the way that they learn.  Let’s face it, with all the changes in diet and supplements that might allow these children to be more focused and aware, it means nothing if they don’t have the right person teaching them!  I am hopeful that this teacher will make an impact and difference in Mikey’s life.  I wonder if she knows how much I am counting on her to help our son?  If she realizes how I prayed every night that my son would get into her class because of her great reputation?  This is a new chance for Mikey, an opportunity to meet a teacher that might be the one that, “gets him,” and can reach him, to help him learn and grow.  I am most excited about this change, this fresh new start, and I only hope that this time next year, I really will see a huge difference, and will be amazed.
When it comes down to it, if these new things we are trying aren’t what produce the best results for Mikey, yes, I will be disappointed, but I will NEVER GIVE UP!  We will keep on going, moving on to the next thing until we find the right formula for Mikey.
Unfortunately, this is the life of most parents of children with ASD’s, we are desperately trying to help our children.  We are on a roller coaster ride of triumph’s and defeats, a ride that we didn’t buy a ticket to!  Most of the time, we have to do it at our own expense since insurance companies do not cover much of the treatments and therapies. Doctors expect us parents to accept the answer, “there is no cure.”  But that is something no parent should ever accept!  We pray for more and better research to find a cure or to find a way to help our children live a normal life, where they can be independent and have a job, a family, and be happy.  It’s sad that approximately 1 million people are diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder in the United States, and there is still not enough research, still not enough funding or support, and still no answers…

2 comments:

  1. Hi Crissy, I am not a good writer like you everything you said in this blog is so beautiful and so powerful and this is what we need hope and all the prayers we can get, that will be the best cure and one day before you know it there will be an answer to your prayers. Mickey is very lucky to have a mommy like you. He will always be in my prayers. Keep up the good work,and remember before you do anything say a prayer He will listen!!! Love you and Mickey always. Titi Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your thoughtful works as always. Never give up!! You are his support, and voice.
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete