Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Happy 8th Birthday Mikey!


Eight year ago today I gave birth to the love of my life.  I don’t think there is an adequate word to describe the love a mother has for her child.  It is beyond measure, beyond words. I don’t think the word LOVE is really enough to cover it. 

Mikey, since the day he was born, is my greatest love, joy and happiness, along with my greatest fears, doubts and guilt, all wrapped in this beautiful perfect little soul. 

His birthday is always a bittersweet day for me.  When I think back to the day he was born, the best day of my life, I remember all of the hopes and dreams I had.  It was a perfect time, when nothing was impossible, and my dreams for my son were limitless. 

When Autism came into our life, everything changed, however the one thing that remained the same is my love for my child, that love has only become stronger, with more purpose. 

There is not a day that goes by that I don’t thank God for blessing me with Mikey. There is not one day that goes by that I don’t look at him with utter amazement, that this little person encompasses all of my love.  He makes me smile and laugh every day, and reminds me to not take the little things for granted, and to celebrate every accomplishment, even the small ones.   

There are days though that I can’t help but wonder what Mikey would be like if he didn’t have autism.  His personality and love shine through his Autism, but I can’t help but wonder what he would have to say, what he would like to do, what his dreams and hopes would be for his future if Autism hadn’t come and run havoc on his life.

If you know Mikey, if you have the pleasure to really, really, get to know him, you know that it is impossible to be sad around him.   Mikey is nothing but smiles and love.  He knows no sadness, he knows no prejudice, and he loves unconditionally because he knows no other way.  Mikey is not corrupted by society, he does not pass judgments, he enjoys every moment he is in.  He has taught me the TRUE meaning of unconditional love.

BUT as a mom of a child with special needs, there is this undeniable guilt that lingers.  For me this is ALWAYS a place I avoid going, but on his Birthday I am always brought there.  I never want to go there because I never want to feel any negative emotions around Mikey, I never want him to feel he is unwanted, and I never want anyone else to think I would wish he was a different child.  But there is always that guilt… could I have done something to avoid this?

There is so much controversy going on right now about vaccines, and this post is definitely not one that I want to address that with, (so please do not comment about vaccines in this post).  But I can’t help think about the flu vaccine I had when I was pregnant because the doctor told me I may lose my unborn child if I got the flu (even though I never had the flu or vaccine before).  I was on medication for pre-term contractions, (that I did not feel), without getting a second opinion.  As a result I had sonograms every week for at least 2 months, all of this at the advice of my doctor, thinking I was doing what was best for my unborn child.  I think about everything I ate, everything I put on my body.   I have always hated conflict, but for my son I would fight an army,  there is added guilt because I didn’t ask the questions of my doctors that I wanted to ask,  I didn’t want to go, “against the grain.” 

Today as Mikey turns a year older, I am reminded of all the unknowns, and questions for the future.   I am reminded how there is no real “plan,” of where he will be, or who will be with him.  Mikey is an only child so that’s it, when his father and I are gone, there is no one else left in his immediate family, and that breaks my heart. 

When Mikey was first diagnosed after the initial shock set in, I was so hopeful, I was so positive about the future, and I didn’t put limits on what he could accomplish.  As the years passed, my expectations slowly became less, I set into reality and I gave into the expectations that society put on him, and for that I apologize to you my son.  I apologize to you Mikey for any moment I gave up, for any moment I expected less than the best from you.   You have always shown me that you are capable of more than I could ever imagine.

These last 8 years of my life have been a whirlwind.  I have had a failed marriage, I have questioned my decisions as a wife, a mother and as a woman, but what has been unwavering is the bond Mikey and I share.  He is without a doubt my greatest love and my greatest teacher. 

I have been far away from the Butterfly Mission because I have been busy trying to find my place, and be a mother, but the reason I started the Butterfly Mission was to honor my son, and that purpose still stands.  So today I re- affirm my commitment to The Butterfly Mission.  Today I commit to continue to honor my son and make a difference in his name and I thank all who have stood by my side along the way.

 

Happy Birthday to my sweet Mikey I love you and I am so proud to be your Mommy.

 

If you would like to contribute and volunteer your time to the Butterfly Mission please contact me at thebutterflymiss@gmail.com.


                                                        (photo by Bettye Rainwater Photography)
    

No comments:

Post a Comment