Wednesday, February 23, 2011

How the Butterfly Mission Began..

 
My name is Christine MacPherson and I am the proud mother of Mikey, a three year old, non-verbal boy who was diagnosed with Autism on January 30, 2009, at the age of 23 Months.  Mikey is my joy, my love, my greatest blessing, and my greatest teacher.  I will share more details of Mikey’s story on future blog posts, the purpose of this entry is to familiarize you with the Butterfly Mission, how it began, and what I hope to accomplish through it.                 

I began The Butterfly Mission so that I can share information, tools and resources with families on the same journey as Mikey and I, as well as raise awareness.  The primary purpose of The Butterfly Mission however, is to raise funds for families affected by Autism so that they can help their children meet their fullest potential.  Although, "science," makes the claim that there is no cure for Autism, through the use of various treatments, significant and extraordinary progress is possible.  The tools we hope to provide range from sensory equipment, to educational seminars for parents and teachers, grants for biomedical treatments, IPAD’s for communication and everything in between.  We will also provide grants to school programs that help support and educate autistic children and their parents.  
Even more imporant the having the right tools and resources, is the ability to Believe that such progress is possible, the principle behind the Butterfly Mission.  As families take advantage of  all the available treatments and resources which become available to them, they can empower their children to be meet their fullest potential and be the beautiful butterflies they were meant to be. 
Why A Butterfly and What’s in the name?
As a mother of a child with Autism, I found myself eager to get involved with my son’s education, and autism charities, so that I can help him and children like him.  What I found was looking at a puzzle piece as a symbol of autism, although it may be an accurate representation, was not a hopeful one.  The puzzle piece reminded me of all the questions still left unanswered.   I wanted to create a place that would give me hope, a symbol that would be positive and make me smile, just as my son does.  Just as the metamorphosis of a caterpillar turning into a butterfly is a beautiful representation of the miracles that nature is capable of, so too is the metamorphosis of our children once they are provided with all of the tools and resources available to them.  A butterfly is a symbol of hope, change, and positivity - all the things we want and need for our children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment